Next week, millions of people will celebrate Valentine’s Day. It’s a holiday that can bring excitement and romance, but also for some, anxiety and sadness. Like anything in life, holidays are what you make of them. Whether that means burrowing under a blanket and watching ‘The Notebook’ and ‘League of Their Own’ back-to-back or spending all your savings on a night out on the town with presents galore for your significant other, you do you, boo boo.
While the origins of St. Valentine’s Day are a little vague, this holiday gained popularity in the 1840s in North America and lovers have never looked back. Ultimately this holiday is about love and probably populating the world, so while this is a wonderful day to acknowledge your significant others for all they are and all they do for you, it’s also a great day to celebrate the wonder and awesomeness that is you. Yes, we’re talking self-love here, in all it’s public and private glory. Sure, most of us don’t need an excuse to ‘light yourself up’ from the inside out, but let’s take this celebration into the wide world outside!
Here are some cool things going down in Vancouver next week that will help you celebrate love, for your special person, for (or with) great friends and for yourself.
- TripSavvy’s got a list of great ideas, here are some of our faves !
- Hot Chocolate Festival! It’s the 6th Annual Festival with 35 vendors and 75 flavours…you better get going.
- Head up to Grouse Mountain for either fondue or Snowshoes and s’mores!
- Or relax at the Willow Stream Spa at the Fairmont Pacific Rim. It’s my favourite spa in the city and has an outdoor hot tub to warm you up in the winter.
- Going solo? Treat yourself with a little somethin’ from Womyn’s Ware.
- Our friends at Moment Meditation have a great series of classes coming up that have to do with romance and connection, great sex, the pleasures of eating chocolate, and the overwhelming feeling of loneliness.
- Feelosophy are giving you ‘All the Feels’ with a yoga and massage session set to live music.
- Get a little frisky at the Rio Theatre with an evening of Duos Burlesque!
Whatever you decide to do, remember how great you are and all the great people you picked to spend your life with!
Happy Valentine’s Day, friends!